Thursday 19 March 2009

It ain't what you do (it's the way that you do it)

Sometimes I feel very distant from my branding work. I just can’t get close enough to it. You can’t do branding by remote control, via email, telephone, Linked In or Twitter. It has to be done face to face. There are times when you’ve just got to thrash things out, kick the litter bin into the corner of the room, disagree, bang the table, throw it all away, taste it, smell it, spit it out and start again. Shake people up. Until you see beauty and they see sense. I’ve found this to be true more and more over the years. Way back when, doing too much, too young, I had none of the answers but all of the passion. But I’m compassionate towards that raw young self. I can look back at me and still say I’ve got a safety pin stuck in my heart for you, for you. That passionate me does not seem at all remote. Yesterday can seem further away. If I concentrate, I can still feel I’m up close to Terry Hall, 50 today. And Patrik Fitzgerald, 53 this 19th March. For me, there’s a branding breakthrough to make today. I need to avail myself of some of this attitude and punk poetry. That's what gets results.
Mark Griffiths http://www.idealconsulting.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment