Thursday 26 February 2009

There's always something there to remind me

To the disbelief of many who observed my early development as a human being, I make my living as a writer and have done for nigh on 15 years. For me, making a living from writing means crafting a marketing brochure, shaping a website, inventing a strapline, capturing that essence rare. And those are the good days. People who don't write for a living but have to write on a daily basis (most people who work in offices) ask me how I do it day in day out. How do I focus on such things? How do I block things out and narrow things down so that what I'm describing is what it is and nothing else? Bizarrely, I tell them that, far from blocking out and narrowing down, I open up. I let the world in and work with whatever is there. It's the only way to achieve the pitch necessary for this writer to begin his work. Interference or inspiration? Both, probably. This week, I've been enthralled by Shakespeare's The Tempest and Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. And, one way or another, I will bring their influence to bear on the work I'm doing for my clients. I'm no slave to circumstance. And far from a puppet on a string. But, when it comes to the importance of remaining human when writing for brands, there's always something there to remind me.

Mark Griffiths www.idealconsulting.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever met anyone who was more likely to live as a writer, your passion so high, your energy for that task on another level to anything else.

    That you can use that passion and energy, divert it profitable use for your customers and make a living at writing is (perhaps) the only surprise and the major delight.

    You were always wont to read far and wide. My own reading rarely extended beyond the sleeve notes of albums, but these were still inspiring. Everything we are is engaged here. We have only to let it in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, there was one influential book. It was either HMS Ulysses by Alastair MacLean. Or The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat. And it was the reason you wanted to join the Navy. As there wasn't a second influential book, however, you joined Texas Instruments instead. Then went on a collision course with Alan Sugar, a battle which you clearly won - because you don't have to present a terrible TV programme called The Apprentice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well remembered it was HMS Ulysses. And there was a 2nd book I read called The Whopper by 'BB'.

    Armed with the accumulated knowledge and skill of two books I was perfect for Texas Instruments and created a children's educational tool - Speak and Spell.

    Only later on did I cross swords with Mr. Sugar ... but that's another story all together.

    ReplyDelete