Tuesday 24 February 2009

Ca plane pour moi

Recuperating from tracheitis gives me some time out to put some time in on time itself. But I actually prefer it when time intrudes upon my thoughts unexpectedly. It's very difficult to sit here and wait for time to say something spontaneous. That just wouldn't be timely. The big thing about timeliness is its spontaneity. It counts for everything. It's an acceptance of whatever is there, knocking at the door. Today, I have 51 year-old Plastic Bertrand announcing himself on my threshold. Let him in. Take a good look at him. He's not necessarily who I would've expected. After all, every day I'm writing about serious things. I'm helping all kinds of organisations to get across their marketing messages more effectively. Some need to sell a product or service. Others need to encourage a change in behaviour from hard-to-reach people. They come to me with their thoughts and priorities. They have confidence in my ability to frame their messages. They expect a certain result. They do not necessarily understand how I get it or where my inspiration comes from. Then again, in my approach to meeting their needs, I rarely set out from the same place as my clients. I listen to their needs. Then I just open the door to whatever is there and invite it in. And that's where I begin. It works for me.

Mark Griffiths www.idealconsulting.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. You succeed in part by opening the door and inviting in something different.

    I face similar challenges for my clients too. So often they have allowed themselves to get funneled into a cul de sac. My advice doesn't need to be left field, and rarely is it inspired. It just needs to be unfettered by dogma and focused on results.

    Of course that also means that I get to name out the elephant in the room. The obvious issue which must be resolved. Everyone knows its there but doesn't mention it.

    Its strange that our forefathers fought so hard for freedom of speech and yet it so readily surrendered in pursuit of corporate careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell it like it is, as Mark Rothko would have painted.

    ReplyDelete