Wednesday 18 February 2009

Gearing up for Guinness 250

My publisher, Martin Liu (Cyan Books), contacted me today to let me know about his recent book promotional activities in Dublin. This year is the Guinness 250th anniversary and it seems my book Guinness Is Guinness could stir some interest once again. OK, I published it 5 years ago now, but what has really happened of any note since in the world of Guinness? Closure of the 70 year-old London Park Royal brewery and a reprieve for the iconic original at St James's Gate, Dublin. Oh, and the launch of Guinness Red, the beer that looks light and tastes...sshhh, don't tell everyone. Back in 2004, I did some great book launch radio interviews when people still seemed interested in Guinness as an iconic brand - with Robert Elms on BBC London and Gerry Ryan on RTE 2 in Dublin. I remember telling these luminaries that future Guinness marketing was more than likely to be a repeat of Guinness past. Here was a brand whose past was too good for its present. And, true enough, in this special 250th year they'll be re-broadcasting the best Guinness TV ads of the past five decades. Pop has been eating itself for the last 20 years. Now it seems that beer is, too. Fine, there'll always be 17th March. And now there'll be 26th September - Arthur's Day. But don't blink, or you'll miss it. Me, I'll be waiting by the phone for Ireland to call...

Mark Griffiths http://www.idealconsulting.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment